The flat top griddle is an outdoor kitchen appliance that comes in handy for those who love to eat eggs, pancakes and bacon. It gives your food a crispy texture on both sides without the need of flipping or turning it over. The best part about this type of cooking surface is that you can use one side as a grill to prepare things like grilled sandwiches, paninis and quesadillas.
In this blog post, we will be looking at some of the best flat top griddles available on the market today with an expert opinion from Emily Pennings, commercial kitchen guru, and owner of Hogshead Tavern.
What Is A Flat Top Griddle?
A flat top griddle is a large cooking surface where food is cooked using an open flame. They are typically found in restaurants and cafeterias. A popular form of indoor, outdoor cooking, there are many different types of gas and electric flat top griddles for purchase on the market today.
Flat top griddles can be used to cook just about anything that requires high temperature, such as steaks, chicken, and pancakes. Gas and electric versions usually come with features such as permanents grease troughs or removable grease trays, allowing individuals to easily clean it after use. The range in size ensures that there is a product fit for any environment, whether home or commercial restaurant kitchen.
Why Choose A Flat Top Griddle Over Other Types Of Griddles?
Flat top griddles are the right choice for anyone who wants to get the most out of their cooking space. They offer larger cooking areas, which makes them perfect for everything from pancakes to stir-fry. This type of griddle is also easy-to-use and clean, making it a great addition to any kitchen or camp. You can find flat top griddles in a variety of prices, shapes, and sizes. Here are just a few of the reasons you should make one your next cooking purchase.
A large cooking area is essential for parties or gatherings with lots of guests who could be craving different kinds of foods at once. Simply put, this type of griddle provides more options than others because it has ample space for multiple dishes to cook simultaneously. Whether you want to feed the masses or enjoy leftovers throughout the week, this griddle will help you get creative in the kitchen.
If you’re like many people, time is valuable to you – especially when it comes to meal preparations. Fortunately, flat top griddles are easy to use. For example, they can be placed directly over a heat source. Most of these griddles don’t require any kind of installation or preparation before using them. They also offer convenient grease runoffs that make clean up faster than ever, meaning you spend less time scrubbing and more time actually enjoying the foods you cook.
Flat top griddles are available at just about any price point. You can purchase one for your home today and then upgrade to an even better model if you choose in the future–without having to buy a new griddle. If money is tight, this affordable option makes it possible to improve your kitchen without breaking the bank. When considering cost flat top griddles will fit into any budget.
List of 7 Best Flat Top Griddles Reviews
#1 Blackstone 1517 Flat Top Gas Grill Griddle
No matter the occasion, The Blackstone 1517 Gas Grill Griddle makes cooking easy and efficient. With 470sq inches of grilling space to accommodate food for breakfast, lunch and dinner all you need is a push of a button!
This powerful unit features an easy start battery powered ignition that never needs to be hooked up or tested – just use it over and over again each time you want to cook. When you’re done prepping your food, turn off the grill with another press of a button before leaving. Thanks Extra bonus: castors on the unit keep things moving smoothly.
What we liked:
- Its simple push button ignition takes all the fuss out of getting your griddle fired up.
- The design includes one side with removable grease drain pan which makes clean up as painless as can be too!
- This versatile grill can cook any type of meat you want all at once without overcooking the food on either side.
#2 Royal Gourmet GB4000 36-inch 4-Burner Flat Top Propane Gas Grill Griddle
The Royal Gourmet GB4000 Flat Top Griddle is the perfect addition to your cooking setup. It’s spacious griddle top lets you cook more food at once. And with 4 independently controlled stainless-steel tube burners, there are endless possibilities for creativity in cooking methods and dishes.
The grill has an impressive 13,000 BTU each that delivers capable 52, 000 BTUs of power. Plus the electronic ignition gives you a capable spark every time so it’ll have no problem starting up if left unused over winter break or anything else! What’s more, the oil management system makes cleaning easy as pie anytime simply by purchasing some CLR cleanser from any supermarket near you!
What we liked:
- The foldable tables on either side provide more than enough space for your grilling materials and still keep everything organized and at hand for easy access.
- This gas grill features a ceramic coated griddle top that provides quick heat up.
- The large grease collection cup helps draining out any left over oil after you’re done cooking.
#3 Camp Chef Flat Top Grill, True Seasoned Griddle Surface
The Camp Chef Flat Top Grill is easy to use. The flat top griddle has one side that folds over for easy storage and the cooking surface size is 604 sq inches. The grill grate includes non-stick coating so your food doesn’t stick, making it easier to clean up!
To make sure you get authentic camping flavor, the Camp Chef implements an adjustable propane tank holder located close by for campsites or general outdoor environments. This grill operates on four 12,000 BTU stainless steel burners with matchless ignition system for simple start ups.
For cooks looking to create specific tastes perfect for various types of meats at once there are two large folding shelves to increase workspace while also helping keep everything off the ground if setup improperly (or with stakes, rope etc).
With two large folding shelves, your food is safe off the ground when cooking camping. The Camp Chef Flat Top Grill has a unique design with locking caster wheels located on each corner of the grill that are great to increase mobility for outdoor cooking.
The flat top griddle top can be used to cook up eggs and bacon or burgers and hot dogs just like a flat top stove. With the Camp Chef Flat Top Grill, you can use propane or charcoal depending on what cooking method you prefer. Exciting things start to happen when the griddle is employed!
What we liked:
- At 18×12 inches, the flat top griddle is large enough for a party of 12.
- It also includes grease management systems for those messy cooks out there – dirty work has never been so fun!
- With two adjustable leg levers and real catch bucket near the cooking surface, camp chefs will love how they can easily transport this grill.
#4 Camp Chef Flat Top Grill 900 Outdoor Griddle
The Camp Chef Flat Top Grill 900 Outdoor Griddle will help you prepare delicious, pre-seasoned meals without any fuss. The griddle has six 12,000 BTU stainless steel burners and a true seasoned surface so it is non-stick and ready to cook.
The adjustable leg levers help increase the control over your cooking experience by giving the ability to easily move it anywhere flat surfaces are found, such as on tables or high top counters. When it comes time to clean up, the grease tray catches drippings and its included catch bucket makes for simplified cleanup hassle-free!
The Camp Chef Flat Top Grill 900 Outdoor Griddle also includes a cold rolled steel griddle that helps create even heat distribution and provides 180° views for perfect flipping. Designed with stainless steel handles, it is built for durability and long-lasting performance. The 2 in 1 cooking surface allows you to start your meal on the grill then finish it on the griddle making it versatile enough for any chef!
What we liked:
- This versatile outdoor flat top grill has the capacity to cook for large crowds with ease.
- With pre-seasoned steel that makes it easy to clean up any messes you make while cooking.
- The griddle also features cold rolled steel construction with a non stick surface for easy clean up after cooking on it!
#5 Blackstone 36″ Outdoor Flat Top Gas Griddle with Built in Cutting Board
The Blackstone 36″ Outdoor Flat Top Gas Griddle is the only outdoor cooking griddle you need. With 720sq inches of flat top to cook all your favorites breakfast, lunch and dinner this griddle is perfect for any grill master looking to master their craft. The unit comes with our new side shelf giving the user a removable cutting board, convenient paper towel holder, and strategically placed trash bag hooks for easy cleanup.
The durable plastic handle stays cool to the touch and resists scratches, stains, and burns from high heat grilling. Plus, this sturdy metal can withstand high temperatures without warping or falling victim to the rusting process.
Furthermore, it’s dishwasher-safe for easy cleanup after long days of use or camping excursions alike! Padded foldable legs make transporting around your backyard simple as going from your grill to the campsite thanks to four heavy-duty caster wheels.
What we liked:
- This flat top is also stable when used with cast iron skillets thanks to extra heat protection within the steel frame.
- The heat resistant handle will keep your hands safe when sliding these round basting covers out of the oven or grill.
- The large lid will keep food warm and steamy while cooking on a bbq grill or table top griddle.
#6 Cuisinart CGG-888 Outdoor Flat Top Gas Griddle
The Cuisinart CGG-888 Outdoor Flat Top Gas Griddle is an outdoor cooking accessory with two independently controlled burners to provide a total of 30,000 BTU heat. The grease management system helps you avoid burns or flare ups by removing excess grease from the pan and funneling it into a cup on its side so all you have to do is slide your hand over it for a quick cleanup.
The folding table allows space for prep work on one side while on the other, this griddle can be used as either a flat top grill or as oven for roasting, baking, steaming eggs and more! Assembly takes less than thirty minutes with easy instructions that come in English, Spanish and French. This product also comes with 3 year limited warranty.
What we liked:
- Controlled by two powerful 15,000 BTU burners, you can control the level of heat for any stovetop use.
- The collapsible legs are perfect to save space when not in use, and the vented lid provides a range of cooking methods from steaming or roasting to smoking food.
- Unique features include an integrated paper towel holder that keeps them within reach during cooking cleanup time.
#7 Razor Griddle GGC1643M 37 Inch Outdoor Propane Gas Grill Griddle
The Razor Griddle GGC1643M Outdoor Gas Grill Griddle is the perfect way to cook up all your favorites with ease on those bulky backyard grill days. The large 37 inch griddle area will allow you to send out a variety of well-cooked dishes for a full house. Just choose from steak, chicken, veggies and even sauces to satisfy your guests without the hassle of switching individual burner sizes.
Combined with 4 stainless steel burners that can be used individually or together automatically adjusting heat levels so you won’t have too high or too low temperatures at any time meaning more golden goodness coming off this beauty!
This outdoor gas griddle has been designed with 2 folding side shelves so you’ll have plenty of room for all your prepping needs as well as protection for the knobs meaning no more burnt fingers on those hot days! Other features include a front drip tray, removable grease pan and integrated tool holders for your convenience.
What we liked:
- It has the capacity to cook 57 burgers at a time, with plenty of room to whip up some eggs or make a stir fry.
- It’s easy to set up and use with features like push start ignition and instant light technology.
- With 62,000 BTUs of power–enough to cook many dishes at once–and an extra searing burner for more color on top of that mouth-watering flavor.
How To Choose The Best Flat Top Griddles
- Size – There are two common sizes for flat top griddles, 20″ and 24″. The standard size being used in most restaurants is 24″, but some use the smaller version because it reduces grease drips. If you plan on cooking for a small number of people, try the 20-inch one first, although you might end up wanting to buy two after you see how big 2 pancakes are!
- Shape – Most commercially sold flat top griddles are square or rectangular shaped because it allows for efficient use of its surface area. Many brands offer specialty shapes like half circles or triangles, but they come with an added cost.
- Material – Flat top griddles are made out of various metals like stainless steel, aluminum, or cast iron. Aluminum is light-weight and it heats quickly while still being relatively inexpensive. It’s also easy to clean and doesn’t rust easily. Cast iron takes longer to heat up but once it does it stays hot for a while (which saves you time on the next batch). Finally stainless steel is ultra durable; however its cost makes it impractical for many budgets.
- Features – There’s usually an option between having “smooth” griddle tops or one with “ridges.” The ridges allow food to get caught in the small channels (like when you’re cooking steak), so this feature might be good if you plan on making items that require dragging utensils across the surface. There are also options for heat controls with some professional flat top griddles having “dual pilots” so you can control the heat on two sides at once instead of one side at a time. There’s also an option to get a “cool touch” handle which might be good if you plan on cooking in bulk and getting too tired to hold your utensil.
What Features to Look For In A Flat Top Griddle
- Heat Controls – Dual pilots allow for more efficient cooking, especially when dealing with different items that require different temperatures. If you’re really feeling motivated, there’s even the option of having 4 or 6 separate burners!
- Cool Touch Handles – Believe it or not, this feature actually comes in handy. Imagine trying to flip a pancake with a metal handle directly over the fire of your stove. Not only is it dangerous, but the constant flipping might actually cause you to burn or mis-shape your beautiful creation!
- Durability – If you plan on using your griddle every day for years, look for something sturdy that can take some abuse. Stainless steel fits that description perfectly while still being relatively affordable compared to cast iron griddles. On the other hand aluminum tends to be cheaper and more lightweight while maintaining good heat distribution qualities.
- Ease of Cleaning – Look for flat top griddles that are easy to clean because if you’re spending money on something worth having it should last longer without unnecessary damage. This might actually mean getting something that can’t be scratched or burnt if your cooking style involves sauces and wines with long simmer times.
- Size – Think about how many people you plan on feeding at once, and if they’re big eaters think about the bigger size! A smaller flat top griddle might not satisfy a hungry crowd.
- Extras – Some flat top griddles come with a grease trap drawer to help control grease build-up while others even have steam vents on the side. Try to keep your purchase simple though because if it has more bells and whistles than you need, it’s going to be less likely to last as long as a streamlined alternative! And make sure you try peeking at customer reviews before making a purchase to see what other people have said! For more information on purchasing a flat top griddle check out this video.
FAQs about Flat Top Griddles
What are flat top griddles used for?
A flat top griddle is a cooking tool that can be employed when you need to prepare food for many people at once. They are typically made of cast aluminum or stainless steel for durability, and have an angled lip around the edge to prevent oil from spilling over while food is being cooked. Typically they range in size from 16-inches up 36-inches wide, but other sizes do exist depending upon the manufacturer. Frequently they will come with additional equipment such as side shelves, splash guards, grease troughs, etc., to increase their versatility.
They are most often used in fast food restaurants because of their efficiency in quickly preparing large quantities of identical menu items (burgers, fried chicken, etc.). They are also frequently used for carnivals and concession stands to prepare food in bulk amounts.
What is a flat top griddle made of?
A common material would be cast aluminum or stainless steel, but some have been manufactured with sheet metal, ceramics, etc. according to the desires of the manufacturer.
How do you clean a flat top grill?
Most manufacturers recommend cleaning immediately after use by scraping off excess oil or grease with warm soapy water, then wiping down with a dry cloth. This should prevent rusting if done regularly. For more difficult deposits it’s recommended you mix dishwasher detergent with water (to avoid damaging your flat top), then spray directly onto surface while cooking, then wipe off while hot.
What are the best flat top grill accessories?
Again, many specific accessories will depend on what you plan to use your flat top for. Some specific examples include: side shelves, splash guards, grease trays/drains, etc.
How long can flat top griddles be used over open flame?
Manufacturers will typically indicate how long it’s safe to leave your equipment over an open flame. If there is no information available then it might be wise to purchase a heat diffuser or similar product if you plan on leaving your equipment over an open flame for extended periods of time. It may also void the warranty if not properly hooked up to a regulator.
Why is my flat top griddle rusting?
Rust can typically be prevented by keeping your equipment clean and dry. You should also be sure that the surface is not exposed to open flame for extended periods of time (if no information has been provided by the manufacturer).
How do you control flat top griddles from overheating when left on too long?
Again, it will depend upon what you plan to use your flat top grill for. Many manufacturers recommend using a heat diffuser or similar product when cooking over an open flame for extended periods of time in order to prevent overheating which can lead to warping/melting damage. Some recommend purchasing a regulator with stick burner style equipment if the issue persists (for safety purposes).
Flat top griddles are a versatile cooking tool that can be used to prepare many different types of meals. The best flat top griddle will vary depending upon what you plan on using it for and how much you’re willing to spend.
We hope this has been helpful. Thank you for reading our article! If we missed anything or there’s something you still have questions about please leave a comment below and we’ll respond as soon as possible.